International Commission on the Apostolate of Jesuit Education - ICAJE
ICAJE serves as an advisory commission to the Secretariat for Education. ICAJE played an important role in outlining the contemporary official documents of Jesuit Education: The Characteristics of Jesuit Education (1986), Ignatian Pedagogy: A Practical Approach (1993); and, Jesuit Schools: A Living Tradition in the 21st Century (2019). These documents have been very central in implementing Jesuit Education in the world today and form together the contemporary framework of Jesuit Education worldwide.
The Commission was established originally in 1980 in order to continue the work of the Rome meeting on Secondary Education held that year in the framework of Fr. General Pedro Arrupe SJ and his paradigmatic discourse: Our Schools Today and Tomorrow. In addition to meeting every year, the group serves the following purposes:
1. To assist the Secretariat in the coordination of the Jesuit Global Network of Schools.
2. To communicate to the Jesuit Conferences, Provincials, and especially to Province Delegates for Secondary and Pre-secondary Education, the results of the ICAJE meetings, and to suggest ways in which these recommendations can be implemented.
3. To be in communication with one another and with the Secretariat for Education of the General Curia, so that greater information and a sense of unity and networking can be accomplished.
4. To communicate to the Secretariat, the concerns, challenges and accomplishments of the Jesuit schools in your region and the world.
5. To contribute to the current call for Jesuit Schools to become a global network at the service of our Universal Mission in the context of the Universal Apostolic Preferences (2019-2029), our current challenges and opportunities.
6. To contribute to the renewal, innovation and re-imagination of the Apostolate of Jesuit Education as ongoing exercise of discernment, as it is presented in the document A Living Tradition (2019) and the Action Statement from JESEDU-Rio2017.
• Chair: Fr. José Mesa, SJ - Worldwide Secretary for Education, Society of Jesus (Secondary and Pre-Secondary Education)
• Fr. Johnny Go, SJ - Secretary for Basic Education of the Jesuit Asia-Pacific Conference (JCAP-Education)
• Fr. Joe Arimoso, SJ - Coordinator - Association of Jesuit Basic and Secondary Education in Africa and Madagascar (JASBEAM)
• Fr. Robert Reiser, SJ - Executive Director of Jesuit Schools Network (JSN) - US and Canada
• Mr. Brian Flannery (I) - Delegate of the Jesuit European Committee for Primary and Secondary Education (JECSE)
• Fr. John Ravi, SJ - Secretary of the Jesuit Educational Association of South Asia (JEASA)
• Br. Raimundo Barros, SJ - President of the Latin American Federation of Jesuit Schools (FLACSI)
Members of the Secretariat:
• Mr. Felipe Carrillo - Assistant for Special Projects, Secretariat for Secondary and Pre-Secondary Education
• Ms. Catharine Steffens - Assistant for Global Initiatives, Secretariat for Secondary and Pre-Secondary Education
• Fr. Sunny Jacob, SJ - Assistant for Mission and Identity, Secretariat for Secondary and Pre-Secondary Education
• Mr. Éamonn McGuinness - Community Director, Educate Magis