Jesuit Global Network of Schools
Thus, when the Secretariat and ICAJE decided to officially launch the Jesuit Global
Network of Schools on 26 November 2021, within the framework of the Ignatian
Year and the 400th anniversary of St. John Berchmans’ death, the
development seemed a natural result of this historic process. The JGNS
expresses the collective global identity of the Jesuit and Companion secondary
and pre-secondary schools and networks committed to the Jesuit mission of
justice and reconciliation (with God, within Humanity and with Creation) in our
world today. It also expresses the commitment to strengthen collaboration, discernment, and networking
as part of our contemporary way of proceeding. As Fr. General Sosa argued in
his homily launching the network: “The scale of some of today’s problems in the
ecological, social and technological fields requires a cooperation that goes
beyond the local or regional level... The network that we are founding today is
inspired by this desire to walk together and cooperate to better meet the
challenges of our time.”
As Fr. Sosa
explained, the deepest desire is “to contribute meaningfully to the building of
a hopeful future that brings people closer to God, leading us to care for our
common home and to walk alongside the world’s discarded in a mission of reconciliation
The founding members of the Jesuit Global Network of Schools are:
• The Jesuit Schools Network (JSN) of Canada and the United States, established in 1936.
• The International Federation Fe y Alegría: Movement of Popular Education (Federación Internacional de Fe y Alegría: Movimiento de educación popular), 1955.
• The Jesuit Educational Association of South Asia (JEASA), 1961.
• The Secretariat for Education of the Society of Jesus in Rome, 1967.
• The Jesuit Education Commission of the Jesuit Conference of Asia Pacific (JCAP-Education), 1979.
• The Jesuit Refugee Service Education (JRS-Education), 1980.
• The Jesuit European Committee for Primary and Secondary Education (JECSE), 1986.
• The Latin American Federation of Jesuit Schools (FLACSI - Federación Latinoamericana de Colegios de la Compañía de Jesús), 2001.
• Educate Magis: the online community of Jesuit and Ignatian Educators, 2015.
• The Association of Jesuit Basic and Secondary Education in Africa and Madagascar (JASBEAM), 2021.