JENA Collaborations and Events during the Summit: a faithful call to action
During the summit, JENA joined a fervent appeal by religious leaders. Representatives from Hindu, Muslim, and various Christian denominations presented a proclamation encompassing six crucial demands:
• Climate Finance: A direct appeal to developed nations to shift from mere words to significant financial assistance.
• Compensation for Loss and Damage: Recognizing Africa’s vulnerability, they sought financial aid, particularly grants, to lighten the burden on the Global South.
• Youth, Green Jobs, and Economic Diversification: Emphasizing the youth demographic, they urged African leaders to foster green economies.
• Climate Adaptation: A clear strategy from the Africa Climate Week highlighting resilient adaptation measures was sought.
• Transition from Fossil Fuels to Renewable Energy: This was coupled with a plea for food security and agriculture prioritization.
• Morality and Action: Rooted in spiritual teachings, they expressed dismay at the tepid global commitment to climate change mitigation.